Connect with us
geekafrique

TV

HBO reveals debut date for ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel ‘House of the Dragon’

Published

on

Break out the bubbly, ‘Game of Thrones’ fans: The Targaryens are returning to HBO, and soon.

By Mariam Abdullahi

Over at Variety, it has been reported that ‘House of the Dragon’, HBO’s first spin-off series of its record-breaking smash-hit ‘Game of Thrones’ will premiere on August 21, as the network announced today, Wednesday.

Taking place two centuries before the events of ‘Game of Thrones’, the ten-episode prequel series will depict how the House of Targaryen fell into a bitter and brutal civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, presaging the beginning of the end of the ruling family of Westeros.

Created by author George R. R. Martin and Ryan J. Condal, the series is based on Martin’s novel ‘Fire & Blood’. Much like the original series, it boasts a robust cast, with a smaller set of main characters including Paddy Considine (as King Viserys I), Emmy D’Arcy (as Princess Rhaenrya, Viserys’ first child and his heir apparent), Matt Smith (as Prince Daemon, Viserys’ younger brother), Rhys Ifans (as Ser Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King), Olivia Cooke (as Lady Alicent Hightower, Otto’s daughter) and Fabien Frankel (as Ser Criston Cole, a knight with eyes for Rhaenrya).

The premiere date means ‘House of the Dragon’ will debut earlier than 2022’s other major fantasy series, Amazon Prime Video’s trip to Middle Earth, a prequel to the widely popular and acclaimed original, with the newest one head-scratchingly titled ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’, which will debut on September 2 this year.

Per the Variety report, in February, Martin announced on his personal blog that shooting on Season 1 of ‘House of the Dragon’ had wrapped. “I have seen rough cuts of a few of them, and I’m loving them,” Martin wrote.

The same month, HBO and HBO Max chief Casey Bloys said “it’s probably a pretty good bet” that the network will order a second season of the show. “Generally speaking, we usually let something air and see how it does, but obviously, we’ll make preparations ahead of time to make sure we’re ahead of the game,” he said.

TV

Marvel’s She-Hulk first trailer confirms new title, premiere date, Abomination’s return

Published

on

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to get sensational, because the first trailer for She-Hulk has officially arrived, and you can view it below, via the embedded tweet. Marvel Studios surprised fans today with the reveal of the first full trailer from the upcoming series, which is expected to debut on Disney+ later this year. The footage provides fans with the best look yet at Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk (Tatiana Maslany) and her wild, fourth-wall-breaking world. The trailer also confirmed the previously-rumoured Disney+ premiere date for the series — Wednesday, August 17th.

The series stars Maslany as Jennifer Walters, a New York City lawyer whose life is changed after she gets into an accident, leading to her receiving a blood transfusion from her cousin, Bruce Banner. As a result, Jennifer develops her own iteration of Hulk powers, which affect both her life as a lawyer and her newfound life as a superhero. The cast will also include Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, Jameela Jamil as Titania, Tim Roth as The Abomination, and Ginger Gonzaga, Josh Segura, and Renee Elise Goldsberry.

The series’ new title is officially ‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’.

As Marvel fans recall, Roth lent his voice to The Abomination’s big screen return in last year’s ‘Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings’, which teased his current status in the MCU and also his surprise friendship with none other than Sorcerer Supreme Wong. Today’s blast of She-Hulk news also confirmed that Wong will return in the series as well, meaning that a revelation about how the pair know each other seems like a guarantee for the new show.

Perhaps Walters will be working to get Blonsky out of jail, presumably where he has been since destroying Harlem in 2008’s ‘The Incredible Hulk’. The nine-episode ‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law’ will premiere on August 17 on Disney+. Marvel’s official description for the series reads: “She-Hulk: Attorney at Law follows Jennifer Walters as she navigates the complicated life of a single, 30-something attorney who also happens to be a green 6-foot-7-inch superpowered hulk.

The nine-episode series welcomes a host of MCU vets, including Mark Ruffalo as Smart Hulk, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/the Abomination, and Benedict Wong as Wong. The cast also includes Ginger Gonzaga, Josh Segarra, Jameela Jamil, Jon Bass and Renée Elise Goldsberry.”

Continue Reading

TV

‘Sex Education’ star Ncuti Gatwa is first black ‘Doctor Who’ lead actor

Published

on

After a long wait, the BBC recently announced that it has found its next Doctor Who in ‘Sex Education’ star Ncuti Gatwa, who is of Rwandan descent. The news was shared on social media, just prior to the filming of the BAFTA awards. “The future is here! Ncuti Gatwa is the Doctor,” wrote the BBC.

Gatwa plays a starring role in Netflix’s comedy-drama ‘Sex Education’ as Eric Effiong, the best friend of Otis, played by Asa Butterfield. While Gatwa will not be the first Black Time Lord — an honor that went to actor Jo Martin in 2020 — he will be the first Black Doctor to appear as the lead in the show.

While Gatwa will not be the first Black Time Lord – an honor that went to actor Jo Martin in 2020 – he will be the first Black Doctor to appear as the lead in the show.

The Netflix star will be taking over from actor Jodie Whittaker, who will appear for the last time as the Thirteenth Doctor in an upcoming Doctor Who special. The release date has not yet been announced. Whittaker has played the titular character since 2017 and made headlines by playing the long-running franchise’s first female Doctor.

Whittaker and Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall are both set to depart from the show, following the third and final 2022 special. The pair announced their exit last year, with Chibnall explaining, “Jodie and I made a ‘three series and out’ pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast.” He added, “So now our shift is done, and we’re handing back the TARDIS keys.” The BBC announced soon after former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies will return to the show after over a decade away.

It is believed several iterations of the Doctor may appear in the upcoming special, including the Tenth Doctor, played by actor David Tennant. However, the actor himself has neither confirmed nor denied the rumors, stating, “I’ve learned through bitter experience that there’s not any point in even answering [questions about whether I’ll play the Doctor again] because whatever I say is spun by whoever wants to hear it… So there’s no point in me denying it, there’s no point in me confirming it, there’s no point in me fudging it. Whatever I say will become whatever the internet wants it to be.”

The final Doctor Who special does not yet have an announced title or release date.

Continue Reading

TV

Will Smith responds to Academy’s 10-year ban from attending Oscars

Published

on

Will Smith accepts his decade-long ban from the Academy Awards. The 53-year-old Best Actor winner responded Friday after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ board of governors decided to ban him from Oscars ceremonies and other Academy events for the next 10 years after he struck Chris Rock onstage during last month’s award show.

“I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,” Smith said in a statement.

The Academy determined that “for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” per a letter sent by Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson and obtained by PEOPLE.

“The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage,” they wrote.

“During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers, and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented,” they added.

Rubin and Hudson went on to address Rock, 57, and Oscars hosts Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes, and Regina Hall. “We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast,” they said.

Smith has issued a public apology to Rock and he also formally resigned from the Academy a week ago.

“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy,” he said in a statement last Friday, April 1.

He added, “I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.” Concluding, he announced his departure from the Academy: “So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”

Continue Reading

Trending